Join most San Franciscans for some whiplash: LaVeyan Satanism, the most widely recognized and practiced form of Satanism, was concocted in a little black house on California St, in San Francisco’s quiet Richmond District.
Anton LaVey purchased a beautiful two story home in San Francisco in the mid 60’s, and in that house, he wrote the most recognized Satanic Bible in the world. The house was the site of Satanic rituals and church services until Anton’s death in 1997. It was the only Church of Satan in the U.S., and prior to its official christening, Anton used the house as the site for lectures, charging a $2 admittance fee until he had enough material to start an organized religion.
Anton LaVey founded LaVeyan Satanism in 1966 and later coded his beliefs in written form in 1969. He grounds his principals in individualism and lex talonis moralism, and addresses Satan as a tooth-and-claw representation of man’s true nature and the earthly values humankind should strive towards. He continued to publish more material on Satanism’s principals until his death.
Much like its holy counterparts, the Satanic Bible outlines rules and sins (yes, there are sins):
1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
3. When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
9. Do not harm little children.
10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.”
As of late, San Francisco has become a less Satanic presence, although lots of its followers still reside in the city, left over from the church, which moved to New York a few years back. After Anton’s death, the Church split several ways, due in part to Anton’s daughter, Zeena, but the original practice still remains.
If you want to visit the Black House where Anton wrote the Satanic Bible, it has since become a condo. However, the Church has ample free information and history on their website.